WWII reproduction cellulose tape box with a useable roll of cellulose tape inside. This box contains the beach landing instructions to seal the rifle barrel and would have been issued on the eve of D-day.
An original of this box appears on page 63 of Enjames GI Collector’s Guide, Vol. II
It is also the proper size tape for the large, 1940s metal tape dispensers.
During the 1940s, cellulose tape was commonly called Scotch tape, thanks to its inventor. Scotch brand cellulose tape was first introduced in 1929 and designed to seal cellophane. It flopped as a cellophane sealant but became popular in homes and other industries. By WWII, several manufacturers of cellulose tape existed in the US. A wartime ad lists over 100 different types of cellulose tape being used to seal everything from blood plasma to food rations.
Cellulose tape is made of the same material as cellophane and despite its plasticity, is biodegradable. It was the main type of tape used until 1961, when Scotch magic tape replaced it for home and office use.
For display or personal use. Contains one roll of actual cellulose tape.